Here at BountyMiner we are happy offer a bit of our expertise to hiring managers. This week Ben Thompson, owner of Thompson Remodeling in Grand Rapids, MI has sent us his Job Advertisement for critique. Original job ad is posted below.
Here is what some of our experts had to say:
- Seemed quite thorough and detail oriented.
- Like the ‘core values’, suggest you talk more about you culture and what is like to work at your company….perhaps a quote from a current staff member.
- Covered the specific particulars on what the job entails rather well.
- Would like to see more of ‘Why your firm is a great place to work’
- I am not a fan of abbreviations, suggest changing ‘ISO’ to ‘In search of’
- Hiring is getting more competitive, especially in the ‘trades’, so great job adverts in the trades are important.
- Consider taking out some of the day to day, since I think most Lead Carpenters know what those are. Rather add in some details about: Job Security and Benefits, Opportunities for Personal and Professional Growth.
Thompson Remodeling – Grand Rapids, MI
ISO skilled residential carpenters to fill two open Lead Carpenter positions. Thompson Remodeling believes in creating above average compensation for highly talented people who fit our culture.
To succeed with us, future team members share these core values:
Deliver on Promises
Hungry to Learn
Below is the Job Description for this position.
Title: Lead Carpenter
Supervisor: Production Manager
Purpose: After being trained on each item on this document you can be an effective Lead Carpenter at Thompson Remodeling. This document confirms that you and your co-workers are in agreement that you are doing your job well.
Key Responsibility Areas:
96% Guild Quality Recommendation Rate
96% On time Delivery of Projects as per baseline schedule
90% On budget as per Labor only of Estimate vs. Actual reports (Slippage)
90% Project completion to a zero defect punch list prior to final walkthrough
Primary Job Tasks – Perform these carpentry tasks to the highest interpretation of the written specifications & drawings.
Responsible to maintain stock of personal protective equipment – paid for by the company
Use personal protective equipment
Enforce that others on your projects are maintaining a safe work environment
Use Lead Safe Work Practices where required
Responsible to read and know the project binder (plans & specifications)
On Wednesday create your 10-day look ahead
Create daily goals that support the 10-day look ahead per project
Track & Code Time on T-Sheets
Track Personal Mileage for reimbursement
·Maintain & facilitate repair of personal & company tools
·Increase personal, team, and company productivity
Explain & Confirm trade contractor understanding of their scope of work on your projects
Enforce clean & safe jobsite standards
Communicate deficiencies in quality & corrective action needed to trade contractors
Communicate to customers your daily work plan [that rolls up into the 10 Day Look-Ahead]
Ensure customer satisfaction with the work as it’s being done.
You are a problem solving resource for co-workers
Maintain respectable personal appearance
Treat client homes with the utmost respect
Your vehicle is an efficient retrieval system
Our shop is an efficient retrieval system
I understand & agree to the requirements of this job description. Does this describe what you’re looking for in a position? If yes, then apply. Again, E-mail resume in response to this post only if you are a highly qualified applicant based on the criteria shared in this job post.
Salary: $50,000.00 /year
Residential Construction and/or Remodeling: 5 years